Online Counseling Terms of Service
Please note: You must read and accept the following terms of service before using the online counseling service.
1. Online counseling is being provided on a temporary basis, as part of efforts to prevent the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
2. Online communication may be disrupted or delayed due to the quality of the internet connection or technical problems.
3. Miscommunication or misunderstandings may occur due to incomplete audio and/or visual information.
4. Your counselor may recommend a counseling option other than online counseling, or may discontinue online counseling sessions, if they consider online counseling inappropriate for your situation.
5. As it is impossible to ensure that information transmitted via the internet is 100% secure, there is a risk that your personal/confidential information may be accessed in an unauthorized manner.
6. Both the client (i.e., student) and the counselor must ensure that they have a private location for the online counseling session, where they cannot be overheard or interrupted by others.
7. The client (i.e., student) is responsible for preparing any equipment or services (e.g., phone line, internet connection, modem, etc.) they need in order to access online counseling.
8. Make sure that you have antivirus software installed on the computer, smartphone, or tablet you use for online counseling.
9. Clients may not record online counseling sessions.
The Online Counseling Process
Online counseling utilizes browser-based Skype. You do not need the Skype application. Please prepare for your meeting with the counselor by following the steps below:
1. Click on the URL sent to you by the counselor (or copy & paste it into your browser address bar); use either the Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome browser.
2. Click on “ゲストとして参加” (“Participate as a guest”).
3. Enter your name and click “参加“ (”Participate”).
At your appointment time, the counselor will join the session. Then, click “通話を開始” (“Start Conversation”) to begin your session with the counselor.
You may get a pop-up message asking to allow the use of your camera and microphone; click “許可” (“Allow”).
If you already have the Skype application on your device, you can also participate in the online session by clicking “Skypeを開く” (“Open Skype”).